Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday Food

Saturday 1/21 - PLANNED: Nothing!
What Actually Made it To The Table: We took Our "Kat" to Wingers to "celebrate" her broken finger!

Rating: 3 :)  5 :/  Cuz they didn't get to go out...

Sunday 1/22 - PLANNED: Green Chicken Chili, Flour Tortilla's for dipping
What Actually Made it to The Table: Our Chili was delicious!  We eat this often and everyone loves it.  It's actually originally an Eating For Life recipe.  So, it's VERY good for you too! BONUS!

Rating: 8 :)




Monday 1/23 - PLANNED: Homestyle Turkey Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes,Cauliflower & Carrots
What Actually Made it to the Table:  Another great recipe from the Eating For Life cookbook!

Serves 6

1 1/2 lbs. Lean Ground Turkey
1 onion, chopped
4 egg whites
1 cup salsa
3/4 cup old-fashioned oats, uncooked
1 pkg. Knorr Vegetable Recipe Mix
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup Ketchup

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients EXCEPT Ketchup.  Press mixture into 9" x 5" loaf pan.  Spread Ketchup on top.  Bake in preheated oven until meatloaf is no longer pink in the center and juice is clear, about 60 minutes.

MASHED POTATOES -
6 portions red potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
3/4 cup Skim Milk
2 TBSP. Butter Buds
Salt to Taste

Boil potatoes until tender.  Drain. Add Milk, Butter Buds and salt. Mash.

**I do not put the ketchup on top, but serve it on the side since not everyone in my family likes ketchup.  I also use 1 cup of egg beaters instead of egg whites.  And obviously, I didn't serve the green beans as shown in the picture.

Rating: 6 :) 2 :| (My husband is not a fan of meatloaf, but he does eat this. Also, there always has to be one kid that frowns upon dinner! UGH!)

Tuesday 1/24 - PLANNED:  Vegetable Lasagna
What Actually Made it to The Table:  The only thing I do differently is I use Low-fat Ricotta and Low-fat Mozzarella if I can.  Also, I've used whole wheat flour and white.  This time I used white, because it was easily available.

Rating: 8 :)

Wednesday 1/25 - PLANNEDCrock-pot Orange Chicken, Quinoa
What Actually Made it to The Table:  I made this, no changes.   We all ate it BUT, it was pretty strong and one dimensional.  I doubt I will make it again without changing the recipe in some way.  Kids were not thrilled about it, and Bean didn't eat it.  Eclaire says she hates orange chicken, AND quinoa so....

Rating: 6 :/ 2 :(

Thursday 1/26 - PLANNED: Meatball Subs using Melony's Homemade Marinara Sauce.
What Actually Made it to The Table:  I made my marinara sauce between 8 and 9AM and put it in the crock-pot to cook on low for 8 hours.  At about 3PM, I added precooked meatballs I buy in bulk at Costco.  I bought whole wheat sub rolls at Walmart.  We just load up the meatballs on the bread and add provolone cheese.  This day we used Sargento Blends Mozzarella Provolone. YUM!:)

Here's the sauce recipe.

Melony's Marinara Sauce
1/2 cup minced onion
1 bell pepper (any color) minced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

To make meat marinara(as I sometimes do) I cook some lean ground beef then drain and rinse it. Then to the rinsed and drained meat I add the bell  pepper, onion and garlic and saute until veggies begin to get tender. **(You can add a few tsp. of olive oil, if you like, I do sometimes) Then remove it from burner, add tomatoes(Usually I use diced tomatoes because that's what I have. I just put them in my food processor for a minute to de-chunk them) tomato paste and sauce and all remaining ingredients..then Voila! I put it all in my crock pot to cook for 8 hours on low. 
*when I'm using this for lasagna, I like to half the ground beef with some sweet Italian sausage..it's SO yummy. You could, in theory, do that for spaghetti sauce. 



Rating: 8 :D



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!